First home owners grant

The First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) is a great way incentive for Australians to purchase a existing or build first home. This grant provides a one time payment to eligible applicants from the government so you can move into your home sooner. 


What is the First Home Owner Grant?

The First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) a nationwide scheme, but is funded by the individual states and territories, with each state or territory having its own legislation for the scheme.

The purpose of the FHOG is to encourage people to save up and buy their first home. This scheme can greatly assist applicants purchase their home sooner. To find out if your eligibility please read below;


How can I use the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)?

The First Home Owners Grant can be used in a variety of ways, however the most common is to supplement your current deposit on your first purchase. Should you already have enough deposit, you can look to banking this funds or using this towards settlement. 

My Eligibility for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)?


Your eligibility for the FHOG differs from which state or territory that you purchase your new home. however there are eligibility criteria which are the same that are:


  • You must be buying or building a new home. Off the plan homes are suitable as well as substantially renovated homes.

  • You need to apply for the FHOG within 1 year of completing your purchase, be sure include all supporting documents. If you're unsure of what documents are needed we can help guide you.  

  • Any and all people who will own or share ownership will need to be on the application.

  • You must be 18 years or older.

  • You must apply as an individual. Company or trust entities are ineligible for the FHOG.

  • At least 1 person must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

  • This must be the first time you or any person has applied and received payment for the FHOG. 

How do I apply for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)?

The easiest way to apply for the FHOG is at the time of applying for a home loan. We can guide you through this process. 

When does the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) get paid?


You can apply for the FHOG through an approved agent, which may be your financial institution, or through the state’s revenue office. Who you apply through may depend on whether you are building or buying, and this will also affect the timing of the payment.

Some key terms explained:

  • Contract to build: This is an agreement with a builder who is contracted to carry out the construction of your home from beginning to end.

  • Owner builder: If you own land and are planning to build on this land without a contract to build, you would be considered as an owner builder.

  • Terms contract: If you are buying under a terms contract, this can mean you are obliged to make two more payment instalments after signing the contract, but before settlement.

Can I get the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) to buy an investment property?

Unfortunately you cannot get the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) when buying an investment property.

Australian states and territories typically require you to be an owner-occupier for a continuous period of at least 6 months (up to a year in some areas) in order to receive the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG). However, it’s a good idea to regularly check your state or territory’s legislation for changes in eligibility criteria.

For more information on the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) visit: